Recipe from ALWAYS HUNGRY? by David Ludwig, MD, PhD, and Dawn Ludwig.
- ¼ cup unsweetened soy milk or whole milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp white wine vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup neutral-tasting oil, such as high-oleic safflower or avocado oil
- ⅓ cup additional neutral-tasting oil, for a classic mayonnaise taste, or extra-virgin olive oil, for a zippier taste
Place all ingredients in a wide-mouthed mason jar or cup that will fit an immersion blender without splashing.
Blend with the immersion blender until thick and creamy, about 15-30 seconds.
Place a lid on the jar. Allow flavors to develop for 1 hour or more in the refrigerator.
The mayonnaise will keep for 1 to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
TIP: Almond or other milk substitutes don't set up as well as soy milk or whole milk for this recipe. Add a tablespoon of milk to emulsify the mayo if it is not thickening.
Nutrition (Per Serving - 1 Tablespoon)
Explore more recipes that use our Basic Mayonnaise...
- Chipotle Mayonnaise Baked Fish (AH pg. 250)
- Chicken Salad with Grapes and Walnuts (AH pg. 252)
- Tartar Sauce (AH pg. 261)
- Salmon Salad (Ah pg. 255)
- Blue Cheese Dressing (AH pg. 263)
- Steak Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing (AH pg. 252)
- Tangy Coleslaw Dressing (AH pg. 265)
- Tangy Coleslaw (AH pg. 280)