AH Basic Mayonnaise
Mayonnaise is a delicious, creamy dressing that can be easily adapted for many recipes in the Always Hungry? book. Unfortunately, many commercial mayonnaise products contain sugar and unnecessary additives. Preparing your own version at home can allow you to control the ingredients in the condiment, as well as personalize the flavors you add.
Watch the video above by Chef Dawn Ludwig to learn how to prepare her Basic Mayonnaise (AH pg. 259). You will only need a few staple ingredients, and about 5 minutes. When you are comfortable with the original recipe, feel free to add your own herbs and spices to create a delicious compliment for your favourite meals.
How Can You Serve the Basic Mayonnaise?
Basic Mayonnaise is the perfect “base” to many other sauces – and can add a fatty, creamy texture to dishes. Try the following ideas…
- Add a scoop of mayo into your egg salad along with a few fresh herbs
- Mix with canned tuna or salmon, fresh herbs, citrus, salt, and pepper for a quick fish salad (recipe sample HERE)
- Mix with chile peppers for a spicy topping for burgers or grilled proteins (see our Chipotle Mayonnaise recipe)
- Toss with shredded cabbage and carrots, citrus juice, salt, and pepper for a coleslaw
- Use as a topping for taco salads, quesadillas (recipe HERE), or stir-frys
Do you Have More Ideas?
We’d love to hear them! Share in the comments below or in our Facebook Group – we always love to see what you’ve been cooking.
Looking for More Dairy-Free or Quick-and-Easy Recipe Ideas?
Check out our online recipe classes with Chef Kenzie Osborne. Each class is a one-hour session with a 30-minute question period. Upon purchase, you will immediately receive a specialized one-week meal plan, prep list, and additional resources prepared by Chef Dawn Ludwig and Chef Kenzie Osborne.
Basic MayoChef Dawn Ludwig
- ¼ cup unsweetened soy milk or whole milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp white wine vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup neutral-tasting oil, such as high-oleic safflower or avocado oil
- ⅓ cup additional neutral-tasting oil, for a classic mayonnaise taste, or extra-virgin olive oil, for a zippier taste
- Place all ingredients in a wide-mouthed mason jar or cup that will fit an immersion blender without splashing.
- Blend with the immersion blender until thick and creamy, about 15-30 seconds.
- Place a lid on the jar. Allow flavors to develop for 1 hour or more in the refrigerator.
- The mayonnaise will keep for 1 to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Nutrition (Per Serving - 1 Tablespoon)Fat: 9g Carbohydrates: 0g Protein: 0g Calories: 80
Explore more recipes that use our Basic Mayonnaise...
- Chipotle Mayonnaise Baked Fish (AH pg. 250)
- Chicken Salad with Grapes and Walnuts (AH pg. 252)
- Tartar Sauce (AH pg. 261)
- Salmon Salad (Ah pg. 255)
- Blue Cheese Dressing (AH pg. 263)
- Steak Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing (AH pg. 252)
- Tangy Coleslaw Dressing (AH pg. 265)
- Tangy Coleslaw (AH pg. 280)