Quick and Easy Quesadillas
Who doesn’t love an ooey-gooey, cheesy quesadilla? They are absolutely delicious. They’re also the perfect grab-and-go solution for lunch, dinner, or even breakfast. The best part is their versatility. They are kid-food, snack-food, to-go-food, picnic-food, freezer-friendly, and tasty for any meal of the day.
Kids love them and love to help fill them. Most important, let your kids get creative. Switch up the fillings, add your favorite dressings/sauces, and share with friends and family for a perfect quick-and-easy meal.
Need to use leftover chicken, beef, shrimp, or tofu in an easy but innovative way… Quesadillas.
Want to cut down on the processed carbs? No problem. Just use our Keto-Friendly (no grain) Tortillas.
View the Notes section below to find the Phase 1, 2, and 3 full meal plans. You’ll also find Dairy-Free and Vegetarian Variations of these yummy treats.
AH Quesadilla (with Variations)
- 4 (8-inch) whole wheat or sprouted-wheat tortillas
- 6 tbsp shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Mexican Shredded Chicken (Always Hungry? pg. 241) Alternatively cook 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs in 1 tablespoon oil with spices like cumin and powdered chiles, or use leftover rotisserie chicken
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 recipe High-Protein Guacamole (recipe below)
High-Protein Guacamole (1 recipe yields 4 servings)
- 1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1 avocado
- squeeze of lime juice, optional
- ⅛ tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 tbsp salsa (See Always Delicious pg. 302 for our Fresh Salsa recipe)
For the Quesadillas
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Warm one tortilla on one side, about 15 seconds, then flip.
- Lower the heat to medium. Sprinkle 1½ tablespoons of the cheese over the whole tortilla. Top the cheese with ½ cup of the shredded chicken and ¼ cup of the cilantro, spreading them evenly over the tortilla. Top with an additional 1½ tablespoons of the cheese and cover with a second tortilla.
- Cook on the first side until browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn carefully with a large spatula so that the filling does not fall out, then cook on the second side until browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Carefully remove the from the skillet and place on a large wooden cutting board to cool, 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, cheese, chicken, and cilantro.
- Cut each quesadilla into six wedges. Serve warm, topped with High-Protein Guacamole.
- Use an immersion blender to blend together Greek yogurt, avocado, lime juice and salt. Blend until smooth. Mix in salsa at the end. Serve with quesadillas.
- Nothing browns a tortilla better than a cast-iron skillet: It heats them as though they're fresh off the griddle.
Nutrition (Per Serving - 1/2 of one quesadilla, no High-Protein Guacamole)Fat: 17g
Nutrition (P3 Full Meal - with High-Protein Guacamole)Pair with one Chocolate Truffle (Always Delicious page 314). TIP: Add a dash of cayenne pepper to the chocolate truffle batter for a Mexican-style chocolate dessert! Fat: 43%
P1 Full Meal Variation (with High-Protein Guacamole)Modifications
- Use Keto-Friendly tortillas in place of whole wheat tortillas.
- Serve with 1/2 cup black beans.
P2 Full Meal Variation (with High-Protein Guacamole)Modifications
- Use four Keto-Friendly tortillas in place of whole wheat tortillas.
- Serve with 1/4 cup brown rice (ie: with Mexican Rice in Always Delicious page 227), cooked sweet potato, or corn AND 1/4 cup black beans.
- NOTE: This is a P2 meal with P1 ratios.
Dairy-Free VariationReplace cheese with 1/4 cup Refried Beans (Always Delicious pg. 225). The beans will help hold the quesadilla together - similar to the cheese.
Looking for More Quick-and-Easy Recipe Ideas?
Check out our online recipe and meal planning classes with Chef Kenzie Osborne. Each class is a one-hour session with a 30-minute question and answer period. Once you purchase, you will immediately receive a specialized one-week meal plan, prep list, and additional resources. all materials are prepared by Chef Dawn Ludwig and Chef Kenzie Osborne.