One of my all-time favorite dairy-free creamy substitute is soaked cashews (or almonds). Cashews and almonds are naturally rich in fat – so when they are soaked and blended, they take on an incredibly rich and creamy texture. The best part? You can use soaked cashews or almonds in a wide variety of dishes – from sweet to savory to warm to cold – it all works!
Try these AH stuffed mushrooms or switch up the base and serve the cashew cream on top of vegetable crudités, Socca Crackers or Grain-Free Waffles.
Chef Kenzie's AH Stuffed Mushrooms (Dairy-Free)
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup dill (or herb of choice, see variations below)
- squeeze of lemon or lime, to taste
- mushrooms or vegetable crudité of choice
- 4 tbsp crumbled almonds or nuts of choice
- homemade red pepper jelly (no sugar added) or Fresh Salsa, for garnish (optional)
- Place cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, and dill in a wide-mouthed mason jar. Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice into the mix, to taste.
- Distribute the cashew dip among mushrooms or vegetable crudités. Roast mushrooms prior to stuffing, or leave them raw.
- Garnish with crumbled almonds or nuts/seeds of choice (use 1 tbsp per serving).
- Top with homemade red pepper jelly (no sugar added) or Fresh Salsa, if desired.
VariationsInstead of dill, use the following flavor combinations...
- Fresh parsley
- Basil + sautéed garlic
- Caramelized onions
- Cilantro + lime zest
- Sautéed ginger and garlic
Nutrition (Per 1 Serving)Fat: 19g Carbohydrates: 18g Protein: 10g Calories: 270
Make it a Full Meal (P1 - Recipe Serves 4)
- Heat a fry pan with 1 tablespoon sesame oil and 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or other neutral-tasting oil). Add 1 onion, chopped. Sauté until onion is translucent.
- OPTIONAL STEP: Add 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (minced) and 1 tablespoon fresh garlic (minced).
- Add 400 grams extra firm tofu (crumbled), 2 cups cooked black beans and mushrooms (chop and use the mushrooms or vegetable crudités you would have stuffed!). Add 1 teaspoon soy sauce and cook until vegetables are tender and tofu is warmed.
- Serve over a bed of spinach or leafy greens of choice. Top with the cashew cream (replace dill with fresh parsley OR chile pepper if you like spice!).
Nutrition for Full MealFat: 33g (51%) Carbohydrates: 39g (27%) Protein: 32g (225) Calories: 560
Looking for More Dairy-Free or Quick-and-Easy Recipe Ideas?
Check out our online recipe classes with Chef Kenzie Osborne. Each class is a one-hour session with a 30-minute question period. Upon purchase, you will immediately receive a specialized one-week meal plan, prep list, and additional resources prepared by Chef Dawn Ludwig and Chef Kenzie Osborne.