Melt-in-Your-Mouth Lamb Shanks
The name says it all – these juicy lamb shanks are so rich and tender, making them the perfect protein to pair with a hearty meal. Try serving with our Mashed Fauxtatoes, Parsnip Rice, Cauliflower Couscous, or Savory Brussels Sprouts.
Why Do We Love these Lamb Shanks?
This recipe is one of our favorite quick-and-easy recipes. Although it may not be quick in terms of the cooking time, the active prep time is less than 5 minutes! Simply add all of the ingredients to a deep skillet or saucepan and let the flavors work their magic. Longer cooking times allow flavors to develop, enhancing the overall taste of the dish. If you have a few moments to put the ingredients in a pot, you can go do other things while dinner is cooking.
Due to the short ingredient list, this dish can also be prepared in larger batches and used throughout the week. You can “shred” the meat off of the bone and serve in soups, salads, stews, or Grain-Free Waffle “sandwiches” throughout the week.
How do you like to serve your Melt-in-Your Mouth Lamb Shanks? Comment your ideas below or snap a picture of your recipe and post in our Facebook Group. We always love to see what you’ve been cooking.
Looking for More AH/AD Recipes?
Buy our Always Hungry? and Always Delicious books for 225+ recipes you’ll love.
Melt-in-Your Mouth Lamb Shanks
- 4 medium lamb shanks (about 2 ½ lbs total)
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 black peppercorns, whole
- ½-¾ tsp salt
- Place the lamb shanks in a deep skillet or saucepan. Add the red wine, water, bay leaf, and peppercorns. Sprinkle with the salt and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer, turning the shanks every 20 minutes, for 90 minutes or more, until the meat is tender and easily comes off the bones.
- Reduce the heat further or add a little water as necessary to keep the shanks from burning.
- Transfer the shanks to a serving place. Cook the sauce over medium heat for 3-5 minutes more to thicken.
- Pour the sauce over the shanks and serve.https://www.drdavidludwig.com/always-delicious/