My son loves breakfast tacos, sushi rolls, and fried burritos (that Tex-Mex creation known as Chimichangas), so this morning I combined them (why not, right?). The result was impressive… both beautiful and delicious. These bacon and egg tortilla rolls are the perfect quick-and-easy snack or app to brighten up your day! This recipe is closer to keto-ratios, but if paired with a higher-protein slow-carb, it can be a delicious P1 meal!
Try it out, and let me know how it goes in the comments below.
Bacon and Egg Chimichanga-Style Tortilla Rolls
- 1 tsp oil (neutral-flavored)
- 1 egg, whisked
- 3 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 whole wheat tortilla (or use Keto-Tortilla recipe, link in directions)
- ⅛ avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp oil, for frying at the end
- Chipotle Mayo or fatty sauce of choice
- 3/4 cup blueberries, for serving on the side
- Pour a thin layer of oil in a small fry pan (tortilla-sized). Turn temperature to medium and wait for oil to heat up.
- While the oil is heating, warm the tortilla in a toaster oven or on a dry, hot cast iron skillet. See this post for our Keto tortilla recipe.
- Mix together the whisked egg and chopped bacon. Pour into the fry pan with the oil. Cook until the bottom is lightly browned, but the top is still runny.
- Place the tortilla on top of the eggs before they fully cook (this helps the tortilla stick to the eggs). Cook for a few minutes, until eggs are fully cooked through.
- Lift the egg and tortilla off the skillet as if you are turning over an omelette. Lay it flat (tortilla side down) on a cutting board.
- Add a few slices of avocado on one edge of the tortilla. Roll it into a tight spiral around the avocado.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a fry pan over medium-high heat. Fry the roll on all sides until brown and crispy.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Slice into 1-inch rounds and serve with Chipotle Mayo (Always Hungry? pg. 268), Fresh Salsa (Always Delicious pg. 302), or toppings of choice. Serve with 3/4 cup blueberries.