Ahhh – summer is here, and we’re all set for some light and elegant snacks to serve out on the patio. Chef Kenzie’s smoked salmon snacks make the cutest appetizer platter or mid-day snack. They’re sure to brighten up your day and bring a big boost of flavor to your table!
Chef Kenzie LOVES using smoked salmon in her dishes – especially ones that need to be prepared in a flash. Smoked salmon is a source of protein that doesn’t require cooking and has a natural umami flavor. Altogether, this makes smoked salmon the perfect quick-and-easy ingredient. It will bump up the protein content of your snack or meal while giving it a big boost of flavor!
Due to the naturally higher sodium content of smoked salmon, you don’t have to add much salt to other components of the dish. Rather, Chef Kenzie prefers enhancing the natural flavors and brightening up the dish with fresh herbs and a squeeze of citrus. The herbs and citrus cut through the salt and umami found in the salmon. This means it easily creates a delicious and balanced combination!
This smoked salmon snack recipe features our Lemon Dill Aioli and Grain-Free Waffles. However, you could prepare this same recipe with a store-bought mayo (sugar-free), or a different type of aioli. You could even use one of the citrus- or herb-based dressing from Always Hungry? or Always Delicious. Alternatively, use one of our 5-minute sauces.
This snack is so versatile. Mix it up however you like. Try substituting the Grain-Free Waffles with a Socca Wrap (Always Delicious pg. 198), a Rosemary Biscuit (Always Delicious pg. 203), or with a few vegetable crudités. Share your recipe ideas in the comments below, or post a photo in our Facebook Group – we always love to see what you’re cooking!
Looking for More Quick-and-Easy Recipes or Ideas for Using Leftovers?
Check out our online meal planning classes with Chef Kenzie Osborne. Each live class includes a one-hour lesson with a 30-minute Q&A period. Upon purchase, you will immediately receive a specialized One-Week Meal Plan, a Weekly Prep List, as well as additional resources prepared by Chef Dawn Ludwig and Chef Kenzie Osborne.
Smoked Salmon Snacks
- 2 tbsp Lemon Dill Aioli
- 1 cup white beans, cooked
- 2 Grain-Free Waffles (see preparation note in directions)
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- Fresh dill, optional, for garnish
- Blend together Lemon Dill Aioli and white beans.
- Slice each Grain-Free Waffle into 4 pieces (total of 8 pieces). OPTIONAL: If desired, bake the grain-free waffle batter (4 servings) in a loaf pan at 350°F for 30-35 minutes. Slice the loaf into 16 slices. Each serving would be equal to 4 slices. Use 8 slices in this snack recipe and save the remaining 8 for snacks or meals later in the week.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of the Lemon Dill Aioli and white bean "dip" on each Grain-Free Waffle strip.
- Top each Grain-Free Waffle strip with smoked salmon and optional fresh dill.
- NOTE: This makes 4 snack-sized portions OR 2 full Phase 1 Meal portions.